Touch Embroidery has a Layer View which can be toggled by pressing the layer button.
- Root - The topmost object in the view.
- Group - a set of layers, treated a single object.
- Layer - a single group of unbroken stitches
- Object - a layer or group manipulated within the view.
- View - Group you are currently looking at, usually the root.
- Checked - The objects with the checkboxes checked.
- Highlighted - selected object, usually with black box around it.
- You can rearrange an object by a press and hold gesture.
- You can dismiss an object with a swipe to dismiss.
- You can tap to select or deselect a layer.
Highlighted Layer Command Buttons
- Add stop layer (the root allows this): sometimes there is a need for applique to stop an embroidery design at a place that is not a color change, and thus a need to produce embroidery files with these operations.
Checked Layer Command Buttons
- Group. This groups together all checked layers/groups into a single cohesive group.
- Recolor - Change the color of the checked layers/groups to a random color.
- Hide/Unhide - Allows layers/groups to be hidden so that work can be done without them getting in the way.
- Lock/Unlock - Allows layer/groups to be locked such that they cannot be altered until they are unlocked.
Objects themselves have a few commands, on the objects.
- "Ungroup" is found on groups to remove them and place their content in place within the current view.
- Unhide - Removes the "hidden" property.
- Unlock - Removes the "locked" property.
- "Enter-layer", change the view to be within this group. This allows you to view the sub-objects within a group.
- "Exit-layer", go back to the higher level view. Root does not have this as there is no higher level.